Southwest Vermont League Rules
- Philosophy is kids first: winning, egos, etc., second
- No slide tackling.
- Allowances are made for co-ed teams when a town does not have a girl’s team for a particular grade.
- Shin guards are mandatory.
- Players can play up one grade level but not down.
- Size four balls.
- Teams on one side, spectators on the other.
- No flip throw-ins.
- Coaches must carry medical release forms all times.
- No overtimes.
- Players should receive roughly equal playing time.
- United States Soccer Federation rules apply (the same as FIFA) and slightly different than high school (National Federation) rules.
- Jewelry may not be worn during play.
- All games are played 8 v 8.
- Recommended field measurements:
60 – 80 yards long; 40 yards wide;
6 x 18 feet goal;
10 x 24 yard penalty area;
7 yard center circle.
- No heading allowed as per national guidelines.
- No punting/drop kicking by the the goalkeeper.
- On all goalie possessions, the opponents must drop behind the yellow build out line and cannot enter until the ball is played (changed from touched by a second player). This complies with US Youth Soccer rules on this matter.
- Retake illegal throw in one time only
- No penalty kicks; take direct kick outside the box
- Goal kicks are taken from the edge of the penalty box, not the goalie area (six yard line); other team should be 10 yards away.
- Offsides called when team gains obvious advantage; explain rule. If a player is constantly offside, stop play and explain rule; restart with a drop ball.
- 4 fifteen minute quarters with running time.
- Substitutions: any time play is stopped. Keeper may be substituted, as would any other player; however referee must be notified and clock is stopped for any uniform change.
Same as above with the following exceptions:
- No retake on throw-in;
- 2 30 minute halves;
Same as fifth grade with these exceptions:
- Penalty kicks are allowed.